Terrazzo is the original recycled flooring and it consists of marble, quartz, granite, glass or other suitable chips, sprinkled or un-sprinkled, and poured with a binder that is a cementitious chemical. This process has been around for centuries, originating from Italian craftsmen who learned to mix marble scraps and waste material from other projects to make new floors.
Along with its beauty, Terrazzo also has a long history of durability in high-traffic areas. Stone Seal can help to protect your Terrazzo floor and extend its usefulness, but even nature’s most durable materials aren’t impervious to damage. As Terrazzo is a natural stone, it should be treated as marble in a maintenance program and if your terrazzo requires restoration, Stone Seal can make near-invisible repairs, preserving the aesthetic value of your investment.
Our state of the art products and superior methods ensure a deeper clean and greater clarity (shine/depth) than you’ll find anywhere else on the market, and our craftsmen have an unparalleled concern for artistry when it comes to restoring damaged stone. Others may offer quick fixes, but only Stone Seal can provide the high degree of skill necessary for long-term care of terrazzo finishes.
If you require substantial restoration work, Stone Seal can help. Our technicians relish the opportunity to salvage the unsalvageable. They’re up for the challenge, and can customize their services to just about any space or level of damage.
- Diamond Honing smooth stone in high-traffic areas.
- Diamond & Powder Polishing will restore high-reflective finishes to worn surfaces.
- Enhancer will brings out the beautiful, natural colours in stone surfaces.
- Impregnation and Sealers protect porous stone from permanent stains while allowing the stone to breathe.
- Prolongs the life and preserves the aesthetics of stone in highly visible public areas.
- Protects your investment throughout your facility’s life.
- Produces a long-lasting polished finish.
- Reduces or eliminates the need for stripping.
- Densifies, increases hardness and improves wear.
CARE & MAINTENANCE
Terrazzo does not need protection from wear – it needs protection from absorption and stains. A water based impregnating sealer should be applied soon after honing and/or polishing. The impregnating sealer is absorbed into the cement matrix, sealing its pores.
Prior to the cleaner being applied it is essential to have the floor immaculate.
Terrazzo floors should be cleaned only with a neutral pH cleaner. Stone Seal recommend avoiding all-purpose cleaners or soaps containing water soluble, inorganic, or crystallizing salts, harmful alkali or acids. Terrazzo should never be cleaned at pressures above 800 PSI and then only if the grout and divider strips are in good condition.
Terrazzo is porous, and can be easily stained or etched by acids. Fruit juice, carbonated beverages, toilet bowl cleaners, urine or other acids will etch if allowed to remain on terrazzo. Wipe up acid spills immediately, and wipe surface with wet cloth. If surfaced is etched, polishing may be required.
Dust mop interior terrazzo floors frequently using a clean non-treated dry dust mop. Sweeping compounds contain oil, which is not only a fire hazard, but will penetrate and could permanently discolour the floor. Many of these compounds contain sand, which is hard to sweep, and can abrade the floor if not removed.
Once the stone is sealed, clean-up is usually easy. Stone Seal recommend using a gentle pH-neutral formula that removes soils while reinforcing the original protective seal to help prevent future staining.
Professional impregnating sealers provide the ultimate shield against both water and oil-base stains. The micro-molecular formula bonds with the stone surface to deliver unsurpassed wear resistance and durability. As the sealer reacts with the stone, you no longer have to worry about its porosity.
Terrazzo floors have ease of maintenance, but this does not mean that NO CARE IS REQUIRED. Once you understand the care requirements in the early stages of a new Terrazzo floor, you avoid possible problems, and recognize the economy of care and the aesthetic values of this product.
DO’S AND DONT’S OF CLEANING TERRAZZO
- Clean up spills immediately to minimize damage to your stone.
- Always rinse your floors well to prevent a build-up of cleaner residue that could become slippery.
- Allow your neutral cleaner, once applied to the Terrazzo surface, time to react as designed to loosen foreign matter. Several minutes should be adequate, but DO NOT allow the solution to dry on surface.
- Use door mats inside and out along with runners and area rugs on terrazzo floors.
- Dust mop the floor daily to only pick up the dust, but also the grit tracked into the building. The grit acts as an abrasive on a hard surface floor.
- Use maintenance products designed for terrazzo.
- Wait to clean up spills on stone.
- Use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub cleaners
- Use vinegar, bleach, ammonia or other general-purpose cleaners.
- Use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers or soft cleansers.
- Use alkaline cleaners not specifically formulated for stone.
- Use scouring powders and abrasives because they will scratch the surface
- Use purely surface waxes, or all purpose sealers. Employment of such can result in slippery surfaces.
- Use all-purpose cleaners containing water soluble inorganic or crystallizing salts, harmful alkali or acids. Use of such products could prove harmful to the terrazzo floor.
- Use cheap cleaners or sealers since the majority of maintenance costs is labour.
- Use vacuum cleaners that are worn. The metal or plastic attachments or the wheels may scratch the surface.
Stone Seal are based in Dublin and complete restoration work throughout Ireland. If you have a query or would like more information on our Terrazzo restoration service, call us on 01 8770436 or fill out the ‘request an estimate’ form on this page.
“Stone seal are amazing. They have been cleaning & polishing the marble in our home and floor shop for over 6 years. Stone Seal staff are always…” Continue reading >>
“Stone Seal have been looking after our marble polishing needs for many years now. I would not dream of having another company.” – Natalie Kenny – Malahide, Co. Dublin
REQUEST AN ESTIMATE
Telephone: 01 877 0436
Stone Seal restoration services Ireland & the UK.